Thursday, August 2, 2018

Walker's shrugs over his $12.5 million subsidy for Fiserv

Jeepers, can you believe anything Walker promises?

First it was 250,000 new private sector jobs - - promise broken nearly four years running - - and now it's money he promised to Fiserv in legislation he signed, but now it's more like 'Scott Walker, clean up on aisle '18.'

The Journal Sentinel describes Walker as "non-committal" about whether Fiserv will get the $12.5 million he put into the Foxconn bill for the firm in exchange for pledging to keep its headquarters in Wisconsin.

I mean, why wouldn't he (oh, you say he's campaigning for re-election with the state already throwing around million/billion-dollar subsidies like they were Mardi Gras beads) stand behind what some very effective lobbyist (and just who is that, actually?) made sure stayed in the original arena-subsidy package without any pesky drafting error getting in the way of this Walker Idea?

It's pretty clear that someone or something was a lot more committal about it at the time.
On Sunday, Sen. Chris Kapenga (R-Delafield) said on WISN-TV's "UpFront with Mike Gousha" that he tried to remove the Fiserv provision from the Foxconn bill before lawmakers passed it. 
"You got Fiserv kind of thrown in there, which I completely disagreed with. I tried to get that pulled out but I couldn't," Kapenga said.
I'm hoping Walker is more supportive for me when I apply for the same deal he gave Fiserv in exchange for my promise to keep my blog originating from Wisconsin. I'll even offer a hometown discount.

1 comment:

Jake formerly of the LP said...

I don't think that Scotty gets a choice on whether FiServ gets our tax dollars. It was in the bill YOU signed, Gov Dropout, and you and the GOPs in the Legislature put no conditions on them or Foxconn putting naming rights on the arena using the cushion the taxpayers have given them.

Unless he's telling WEDC to back off on approving the same type of jobs handout that they gave Foxconn. Would be quite the double-standard, and likely the subject of a lawsuit.