Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Road To Sprawlville, Chapter 51: What Is And What Was

When he was narrating his infamous "Wealth of Cities" slide show, Former Milwaukee Mayor John Norquist would lambast and lampoon suburban development. He'd say "Brookfield: no brook, no field." Some suburban officials complained - - I remember Margaret Farrow, for one. "John, that's not fair," she said at one showing. I think it was when he was comparing Milwaukee's historic, classy Oriental Theater to a boxy MetroPlex. And later he took out that slide, since the Oriental vs. a MetroPlex isn't a fair fight. Anyway, he'd continue on and say developers felt guilty about the natural settings they'd erased, so they'd name things as remembrances of what was gone. So when I spotted this street sign out in a Waukesha County subdivision, I had to snap its picture. Hat tip to my old boss.

No comments: