Friday, October 26, 2018

DNR says site sediment runoff is major polluter; we have a fresh example...

I noticed in today's installment of my blog series on Walker's eight-year assault on the environment this note of waterway pollution that causation I had pulled off a DNR web posting in 2015:
DNR web page last updated in 2015 says the causes of these impairments are known, and the implications are serious:
Impaired waters in Wisconsin are affected by a variety of pollutants. The top three are: mercury, total phosphorus and sediment... 
While natural erosion produces nearly 30 percent of the total sediment in the United States, erosion from human use of land accounts for the remaining 70 percent. In agricultural watersheds, the most significant source of sediment is tilled fields.... 
Improperly managed construction sites also contribute significant amounts of sediment to local waterways; up to 25 times that of agricultural lands (Chesters, 1979) and 2,000 times that of forested lands (EPA 833–F–00–008, R 12/2005 [PDF exit DNR])...
What caught my was that line:
Improperly managed construction sites also contribute significant amounts of sediment to local waterways; up to 25 times that of agricultural lands (Chesters, 1979) and 2,000 times that of forested lands (EPA 833–F–00–008, R 12/2005 [PDF exit DNR])...
Hmmm....Where have I just read about and seen an image of that very phenomenon? 

Oh, now I remember: from the improperly managed Foxconn construction site, downstream into the Pike River.

So while I'm not happy about it, and Foxconn has a court date where its full fine will be discussed, we have a recent image of how sediment can get into a waterway. I will add this to my full Foxconn archive, here.


No comments: