Monday, October 20, 2014

My political/sports analogies are more accurate than Walker's

[Updated 2:37 p.m.] In June, I wrote that Scott Walker's job creation record was the equivalent of 6-10 NFL season showings:
Again, and now again, Wisconsin under Scott Walker has been shown substantially lagging the pace of national job-creating, and now we are ranked a dismal 37th among the 50 states, authoritative data prove. 
And it has been shown that Walker has created only about 40% of the 250,000 new private-sector jobs he said, unprompted while campaigning in 2010 and elsewhere, he'd create in one term. 
Imagine if the Green Bay Packers, after nearly four years under a new head coach and a staff entirely of his choosing, had spent three mediocre straight seasons in the bottom quarter of the league standings. 
And imagine if that head coach had been hired after a public campaign promising repeatedly to produce winning teams hitting specific but unmet goals - - but was consistently stuck at career 6-10 performances. 
You'd want him fired.
This concept seems to have gotten into his head.

A couple of months ago I again noted that while Wrong-Way Walker had met only 40% of his 250,000 new jobs promise, he was lapsing into sports talk to justify the failure.


So I offered a couple of sports' analogies of my own to explain why he shouldn't get the equivalent of a contract extension:


Place kicker to coach: I've fine-tuned my technique. Aiming big.
  Coach: So what. You're only making 40% of your field goals...

* MLB manager to GM: Let's talk contract renewal. 
  GM: Seriously? Your won-loss record is 65-97.

In The New York Times today, Walker brings that self-serving exaggeration to a national audience, but I see nothing in his jobs' record to justify a "contract renewal."

 “When I took over for Wisconsin it was like inheriting a team that was 0 and 16 and I promised that we’d go to the Super Bowl,” Mr. Walker says. “We’re not at the Super Bowl yet. I’m asking for a four-year contract renewal to get there. But we’re winning again.”
No.

Since when is 6-10 "winning?"

As I said four months ago, you'd want him fired.

Heck, Packer's head coach Mike Sherman had a career winning percentage of nearly 60% with the team, and he was fired after the 2005 season. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would hope the reporter would ask the turd when was Wisconsin ever 0-16. Nope, they again give him a pass.