Thursday, June 7, 2012

High-Value Walkable Neighborhoods; Plenty In Milwaukee Despite Walker's Warning

National media notes the value of walkable neighborhoods, and Milwaukee has them in abundance:

Library Hill, Downer Ave., Riverwest, Brady St., King Dr., The Third and Fifth Wards, Bay View, Prospect-Farwell, the lower East side, Murray Hill, etc.

Despite what Scott Walker - - the former Milwaukee County Executive for eight years - - had to say about Wisconsin becoming "another Milwaukee."

2 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I've lived in various permutations of the East side for nearly thirty years, and raised a lovely son here, who goes to Milwaukee Public Schools.

We even have a dog.

And I've never even been shot in the nightly drive bys (sarcasm)

Max Berger said...

This week I had several appointments in Milwaukee and had the opportunity to drive through the tree-lined streets and past the stately homes of both the upper and lower east side. I also traversed the RiverWest area with many exciting new developments, both residential and commercial, and noted several restaurants I'd like to try. In downtown, there are several large construction projects that I want to find out more about. Is this the Milwaukee that the rest of the state doesn't want to be like, according to Walker?

My nephew, visiting from Boston,** asked me if Milwaukee would be a good city to visit. I was proud to sing the praises of the Calatrava, Discovery World, summerfest, the Brewers, Milwaukee museum, Betty Brinn, Third Ward living, and the lakefront and riverwalk corridors.

Nah, nothing here the suburbs would want to emulate. Let's build another strip mall with the same chain businesses that just repeat themselves up the road 5 miles.

**My nephew who is working on his PhD at Harvard. No shit.