Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How To Raise Millions To Recall Scott Walker

Here's my "modest proposal."

Today I am depositing $50 in a credit union savings account that I will transfer to the Scott Walker Recall Committee or something sounding like that which I'm sure will appear some time this year.

Disclaimers: I am not plugged into any such group now, nor do I know if there is one, so don't send me any checks, but when the time comes, I will mail it along with $50 monthly set-asides I pledge to make through December.

That will make $500 available by year's end - - or transferable in stages, if that becomes the effective way to go. I'm just thinking out loud here, but I will make good on the pledge.

If there are 1,000 people in the state who will do the same, a nest egg of half-a-million bucks is guaranteed.

Not enough, you say - - for TV, websites, statewide organizing and counter-measures to oppose Walker's corporate donors  - - and you are so right.

So let's say that there are 10,000 people in the state who will guarantee they'll put $20 a month into an account, or shoebox or wherever - -  there's another $2 million guaranteed and we're up to $2.5 million - - and more if people adjust these numbers as they can, and if major donors want to get involved, too.

But a bigger treasury is needed.

Now let's assume there are 500,000 people nationally - - just five people allied in solidarity for each person in the largest of the demonstration crowds in Madison last weekend - - who will commit just $10-per-month through the end of the year.

That's another $5 million-per-month, giving us more than $50 million by the end of the year - - adequate certainly to recall Scott Walker, elect a good candidate, help fend off or manage state legislative recalls, too - - and end up with something left over for one helluva party.

$50 a month, $20, whatever: a few coffees made at home instead of a coffee shop, or foregone mojitos, pair of shoes, round of golf or movies out  - - call it shared sacrifice you choose - -  and the money will arrive so Walker can go and workers' rights return.

3 comments:

tomkraj said...

Don't forget that Darling Senator you have in Milwaukee along with 2others and you have a Democratic majority. It is not total relief but quicker.

James Rowen said...

Tomkraj; the way I figure it, $53 million gets us some recall wins and prevents others losses.


I'm serious about the effort.

Anonymous said...

74,658 pledges and counting
as of 9:48am 3/2/2011

http://www.unitedwisconsin.com/