Friday, August 15, 2008

Correcting Kevin Fischer: It Could Be A Full-Time Job

The conservative blogger Kevin Fischer, who is also staff aide to State Sen. Mary Lazich, (R-New Berlin), posts a personal blog on the Journal Communications FranklinNow.com community news website.

He posts about food, music and politics.

One of his favorite government targets is the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, and he and I have had a virtual debate, if you can call it that, over his use of the terms Nazi and Gestapo to describe the DNR - - descriptors that are insensitive and inaccurate, to say the least.

Anyway, Kevin is off and running again about the DNR, and I am glad to see that this time he has managed to criticize the agency without putting them on equal footing with the people who started World War II and carried out The Holocaust.

Call that progress.

What's notable to me about Kevin's posting, other than the weird type faces and design that remind me of those cranky unsigned letters that arrive without signatures and return addresses, is his incorrect assumption that I always praise the DNR.

His exact language is that I am "the biggest DNR butt-kisser in the entire state of Wisconsin."

Pretty silly-sounding for an adult, let alone someone who, in his day job, might be called upon to serve as office liaison between a Senate district and the DNR, but as to its accuracy, let's just say that I know plenty of people in the DNR who would say I've been tough on the DNR.

I have copied out five of my blog items with their titles in the URL so you can get a flavor of some of the criticism I have leveled at the DNR over policy issues if you don't want to take the time to read them.

Truth is, I call 'em as I see 'em.

Sometimes the DNR deserves accolades, and sometimes not, but if Kevin were to take the time to read these items, and others I have posted, he would see that he is uninformed about some of my analyses of the DNR.

The link samples are below:

http://thepoliticalenvironment.blogspot.com/2007/07/item-1-for-incoming-dnr-secretary.html.

http://thepoliticalenvironment.blogspot.com/2007/11/wetlands-destruction-okd-in-franklin.html.

http://thepoliticalenvironment.blogspot.com/2007/12/dnr-wants-to-be-law-unto-itself.html.

http://thepoliticalenvironment.blogspot.com/2008/02/dnr-wants-to-give-sprawl-planners-even.html

http://thepoliticalenvironment.blogspot.com/2008/05/on-again-off-again-swan-shootings-dnr.html.

2 comments:

capper said...

Kevin and facts are not even nodding acquaintances. Kevin turns tail and runs whenever he even sees a fact headed his way.

Matt said...

Dear Capper,

I know neither you nor Kevin, but I would ask that you cite evidence when leveling such an accusation.

Thanks,

Matt