Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama's Speech Set The Right Tone - - But Not For The Right

The inaugural address by President Barack Obama - - and I do like the sound of that: President Obama - - was relatively low-key, almost somber - - because that is what the country needs right now.

Rightie talkers who need to bash Obama to make a living - - Sean Hannity, Mark Belling, et al - - criticized the speech because it lacked rhetorical flourishes.

And while that is a subjective judgement, think about what a no-win situation Obama is in.

The right has criticized his penchant for grand speechifying, and then comes down on him when he isn't wordy enough.

Go figure.

Obama understands that what the country needs is honesty, analysis, pragmatism, studied reflection and then action.

His speech told us where we are, how we got there, and what we have to do to work our way out of the mess that George Bush has left us.

Obama's line about getting ourselves up, dusting ourselves off and getting on with the tasks at hand were all the rhetoric I need.

For those who want more, console yourself with the words of the Rev. Joseph Lowery's benediction: text here.

I feel sorry for the rightie talkers. This was a great day to be an American, and spending time today taking reflexive potshots speaks volumes about the talkers' intellectual deficits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give me a break Jim. Some of Obama's speech was good, however, it was very low class with his shots at George Bush. Mr. Bush showed the Obama's much class during the transition. A lot different than Clinton did when Bush took over.

I also wonder how many conservative protests their were during the Obama parade? During the Bush parade in 2001 and 2004, there were many liberal protests. I was ashamed of the way the Obama treated Bush yesterday, at least have some respect for the office.

I am a staunch conservative and would never support him when he was running, but he is our president now and will treat him with respect. I wish you lefties would have done the same to George Bush.

Just out of curosity, did you see all of the garabage left at the Mall yesterday by all of the Obama supporters? Also, what was the carbon footprint off all those celbs, telling me that I need to make a pledge. The dimwitness of some on the left, especially the celb. ones realy makes me laugh.

James Rowen said...

I completely disagree. Obama's criticisms were muted, and indirect.

I saw Obama volunteers assisting with Mall cleanup.