Tuesday, October 21, 2014

R.I.P., Ben Bradlee

R.I.P., Ben Bradlee, every reporter's dream editor and boss. Our family knew him for decades. We were lucky, and then some. He and my dad Hobart worked together at Newsweek's DC bureau where Ben was the bureau chief and Dad was a business writer. When Ben moved to the Washington Post in the mid's 1960's, he was told he could bring with him one staffer and he took Dad.

The ride lasted for Dad almost 30 years as reporter, columnist, business editor and eventually Ass't. Managing Editor, Finance. 

Best little personal memory: I visited Dad at his newsroom in the mid-80's after I'd joined the Milwaukee Journal staff. Ben waved me into his office, threw his arm around me and said "Congratulations, Jimmy. You finally found honest work."

3 comments:

Boxer said...

You finally found honest work? What were you doing before that?

James Rowen said...

Government/politics. It's newsroomy banter.

Boxer said...

Geez, I thought I was about to get the dirt on you. Foolish me: You're a boy scout!