Sunday, September 20, 2009

Toxic Waste Where You'd Least Expect It: A Cautionary Tale

This Washington Post story about poisonous World War I munitions still being found in an urban area caught my eye, for two reasons:

1. It's a reminder of how long-lasting are the environmental hazards from using, testing or storing hazardous products: Wisconsinites should take note, as there is a move afoot to add more nuclear power plants and thus more nuke waste - - perhaps even shipped from elsewhere - - in Wisconsin.

2. The effected neighborhood in the story - - Spring Valley, in Washington, DC - - is not far from where I grew up.

Because of family activities the last couple of years, including my mother's 2008 hospitalization, it's a neighborhood where I recently spent considerable time.

And never knew that there were old chemical weapons lying around from WW I tests conducted on the grounds of nearby American University!

Amazing.

No comments: