Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thanks And Props To Bob Reitman

I've been meaning to do this for a while, and it was hearing on WUWM-FM 89.7 some obscure Paul McCartney tonight that reminded me to get my forgetful self to the computer and finally post my appreciation to Bob Reitman for his wonderful Thursday night program, "It's Alright, Ma, It's Only Music."

Here's the website.

I didn't live in Milwaukee when Reitman began his alternative music gig in the 1960's.

When I got here in the 80's, Reitman was already paired weekday mornings with Gene Mueller on WTKI-FM 94.5. The show was regularly hilarious, and deep when needed, but wasn't ideological, boring or self-important.

Things changed, Bob retired, Gene took himself over to mercifully apolitical (!) morning drive time on AM620 WTMJ - - and voila (!!), Bob re-appeared on WUWM-FM to serve up his archive, genial prose, and broad musicology.

Basically, if you live around here, or don't avail yourself of Reitman's talents on the Internet, you're missing one of the signature benefits that gives the city some definition and makes Wisconsin radio fun.

No comments: