Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My New Hampshire Two Cents Worth Two Cents

Well, hats off to Hillary Clinton. Quite an impressive turnaround to defeat the favored Barack Obama.

Though my GOP predictions were generally on point, I should have listened to my earlier advice about long campaigns being fluid, and comebacks being routine.

What happens next is anyone's guess, though I am happy to see such a large Democratic turnout.

If you are a Republican and following the turnout disparities relative to the Democratic vote totals, these first two states do not bode well for the November outcome.

Final note: Gloria Steinem's op-ed in the New York Times on the campaign is a definite must-read, here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that if Obama is the democratic nominee, then the Republicans will lose, since he will get much of the independent vote and because he is personable and his record is slim, however, he appears to be much more to the left than Clinton, (this might end up hurting him in the general), If Hillary is the nominee I think the Republicans have a 50-50 shot at beating her. Many of the independents that voted from Obama, I bet will not vote for Hillary.

The odds are that the republicans will lose the white house, however, given some of the Hillary and Obama comments made on issues, and the great increase in taxes that will have to be done in order to pay for some of their goals, it maybe just a one term deal

James Rowen said...

It's hard to prognosticate that far in advance.

I do think Obama, at least to this point, is drawing in new voters and independents, and some Republicans.